Monday, April 23, 2007

what a weekend it's been

You know the saying, "time flies when you're having fun"...? Well, it most certainly flew these last two nights! Am still buzzed!

On Friday, the room was s-s-s-smokin' with The David Gomes Sextet! The same band that's going to The Miri International Jazz Festival in May. Judging by people's reactions, I think the band & the music is gon' do Malaysia proud out East next month!

The room was packed like never before and the excitement was truly palpable. The crowd was a mixed bag of avid jazz fans, die-hard junji & david fans, friends, co-musicians & newbies to TTR. We even had a surprise treat for all when Jeremy Monteiro, visiting from Singapore, sat in on two songs with the boys during the first set, just before they took a well-earned break.

What followed was the special KL Preview of our would-be set in Miri. Our set list comprises of 6 original compositions by DG himself and 5 vocal covers, beautifully arranged by him as well. If them jazz connoisseurs' impressions are anything to go by, then DG's songs are ready for the world market. And I don't just say that. I think that I can be his worst critic as much as his no.1 fan! But, the man I married is truly and remarkably gifted. He was born for such a time as this! If his mother was any bigger, I'd say that she carried him in her belly with a grand piano! LOL. No offense, Mum!

Julian Chan, alto player for DG Sextet has this to say.

So you folks in Miri, watch out for David Gomes! He's about to swing his way into town soon.

Now, about last night...

As big as the sextet sounded on Friday, Top Room's energy on Saturday night came from only two people on stage. I had the privilege of working the room with another gifted pianist in the person of Mike Veerapen. David had to skip over to Singapore to sub for Jeremy Monteiro [who was in town for an event] and Mike graciously agreed to sub for David. Meanwhile, at Top Room, Jeremy had the best of both worlds, watching his subs subbing away. ROTFLMAO!

Anyways, Mike & I had an awesome night. It's been years since we did the duet thing and, I must agree with Mike... it seems to have gotten better with age! We had a good turnout as well. Not as packed to the hilt as Friday night but full enough, and a wonderful listening audience. There is nothing more disconcerting to performers than a roomful of chatter & clatter. Last night, you could almost hear a pin drop. It was a magical night, that's all I can say.

And now that I've blogged about all this, I can go to sleep with a smile on my face. :)

Zzzzzzzzzz

Junji

No comments: