Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Man, it's GOOOOD to be back!!!

Imagine my disappointment when two weeks ago I couldn't log in to this space. It was frustrating! But I thought the net went cuckoofied with the quake in Taiwan along with a number of other natural disasters that followed so, seeing as a lot of those people had REAL problems compared to mine, I decided to wait it out. Then, next thing I know, I get an email from them nice people at Blogger saying that Toppings has been locked as it is suspected of being a spam blog! Me? Spam?? The only spamming I do comes from this small tin all the way from China called Ma Ling! Ok. I probably shouldn't be eating that cos Lord alone knows what- the-giblets are inside them, but they're yum! Anyways, the nice Blogger peeps have since assessed the contents of this blog and announced it SPAM-FREE so Arnie ............ I'M BAAAAAACK!!!


And what have y'all been missing since? Well, we've had great houses at The Top this month of January with established & respectable, as well as the noteworthy new breed of young, musos & purveyors/advocates of jazz!


Kudos to Mike V & Trio on their 1st stint at the room for 2007. Me hears that jazz hearts went home plenty happy that night. Looking forward to more jazzventures from this triplet. And of course, Cher Siang Tay is constantly proving himself worthy of a tracking device if you are one for monitoring legends-in-the-making. Take my word for it. No, don't just take my word for it. Come hear him yourself. He's on again this Saturday, by the way, together with Ms. Gomez & Adriane Palikat on drums. Another one worth checking out. This chick is hot with the sticks!


We anticipate that things'll rock, or rather swing, even more over the coming months! We've got a lot, a lot, a lot in store. But before I blurt 'em all out, I'd like to let y'all know that this weekend, the last one for the month will see a
one-night only special on Friday.


Come for a Brazilian Escapade, 26th Jan, as our featured artists pay tribute to the great Brazilian songwriters. If you like listening to those liltingly, hauntingly sexy & lovely Portuguese tunes then make a date with this duo on Friday.


He must've been a Brazilian coffee bean in his past life! Meet Cheong Lee. An honest-to-
goodness Mr. Nice Guy. Unassuming, quiet, humble and sweet. And even sweeter the bossa novas he plays... and sings! I don't understand a word of Portuguese but I just melt when I hear someone speaking or singing it.

Cheong, as he is affectionately known in the industry, holds a diploma in professional music from Berklee, College of Music. Clocking up a number of years doing the club circuit, Cheong has worked with some of the biggest names in the local fraternity as well as some notable foreign ones too.

She, on the other hand, is as satisfying as an ice-cold Caipirinha on a hot, sweltering summer's night! This buxom beauty from Iloilo City is a sight & a sound to behold. Especially when she sings in Portuguese. The language rolls off her tongue with such ease, you'll be led to think that she's the cousin [twice removed] of the gal from Ipanema!

Seriously... if you're a fan of everything Brazilian, from coffee to football to wax [ouch!], you're bound to enjoy a night out with this duo. Come around this Fri. First set starts at 10:30 p.m. The bar's open till 2 a.m.!

RM 25++ includes one drink of your choice [house-pour only].

See ya at The Top!!!
(gee, i missed saying that :))

3 comments:

Beef Stew said...

I'd been to this joint few times now. Magnificent music. I went to see Maria Gomez last Saturday. Man...she is good.

Well, I'm definitely a noobs in jazz, thanks to Jamie Cullum. I can name only that much. My mouth went gaga when I was in the jazz section inside the CD store. Cause I dunno what to find. My only source of best recommendation will be in Toproom. I just say maybe you guys can just list the songs being played that night in this blog. Sort of like a gig review... Just a suggestion though.

Oh ya, the problem with the sales person of the jazz section is like a chinese monk trying to sell a comb. I'm very much looking forward to Toproom Music Store with sales person who actually know their thang! Hehehe...

Jazzmamma said...

hey beef! thanks for popping by, both online & for the real thang!! glad you like what you've seen/heard so far. trust that there'll be more gooooood stuff in the joint.

toproom music store... hmmm... not a bad idea...

Jazzmamma said...

see what i mean? doesn't the language just ring sweet? i mean, i've absolutely no clue whether i've just been condemned to kingdom come but it sure sounded romantic!!!!