I met Andy from Chicago many years ago and we became really good friends together with his (now ex-) wife, Beverly. When I first met them they were in their 50's and, one night, while we were having some drinks in between sets at a hotel where I was gigging, he shared a story of how he's never forgiven his wife for one incident in their entire married life. Apparently, on the first night of their wedding he heard that there was this Jewish girl who was having her debut performance at a well-known basement club in Manhattan. He told his new bride about it but she said "Oh no, I hate smoky places!" Next day, plastered all over the entertainment section was a pic & a review of the young Barbara Streisand's amazing performance at the Manhattan club the night before. Many years later I heard that they split up. Though I'm quite sure that it may not have been entirely due to Barbara!
I also met this jazz crazy chick who gave her new boyfriend his walking papers. Why? Well, apparently, he thought Chet Baker is the founder of Roti Boy. Errr.... Umm... Yeah, right-o! Can't say I blame her now. Maybe we should hire her at the club for those you-just-never-know-nights when we get lame requests like Hotel California, Let It Be Me and Green, Green Grass of Home.
Well, it's unfortunate that Andy & Bev were married before the "no-smoking indoors" law was enforced. Maybe they would've lived happily ever after as a result, who knows? But it was definitely fortunate for Roti Boy's ex, that much I agree! Ohhh... okay, so I made up that bit! I needed something to keep me on track with my headline seeing as Le Streisand isn't exactly a jazz singer! But I wasn't lying about Hotel California, Let It Be Me & Green, Green Grass of Friggin' Home!
Anyway, love & jazz. That's what you'll get this February at The Top. First up, this Friday & Saturday, David & I are back for another swingin' weekend and we'll be joined by Ismail bin Omar on bass & Yacob bin Madon on drums. On Saturday, Julian Chan on alto & Eddie Wen on trumpet will pop in for a quick fix after doing their fair share of non-jazz gigs.
Come Sunday, the Top Room afternoon jazz jam that's gaining popularity will be on with some visiting musicians (if they don't miss their flights, that is).
Sets start at 10:30 p.m. on Friday & Saturday. We're open right up to 2 a.m. And on Sundays, we usually get rolling around 5:30 or whenever the musos are outnumbered by the audience (whichever comes first).
See you at The Top!
POSTED BY JAZZMAMMA
January 31, 2007
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Miras las noticias, él estás presionando tan. deseo que me demostrarían algo hacerme sonrisa de vez en cuando.
Post a Comment