Friday, August 10, 2007

A New Combination!

Top Room Custodians, David Gomes & Junji Delfino are bringing an added dimension to the venue's already impressive history by hosting a jazz evening with a twist.

Long time members of the irreverent motley crew of comics about town (umm... no, we're not referring to the powers that be) the duo have roped in some co-conspirators for a weekend of jazz & comedy on the 17th & 18th of August.

Two excellent art forms in one night definitely make for a not-to-be-missed event
.

But here's the twist... that which is expected turns into the unexpected before expectations actually reach fulfillment. Simply put... Laughmeisters Shanthini Venugopal, Maya Tan-Abdullah, & Edwin Sumun take jazz by the horns and venture where no Malaysian comedians have gone before. Jazzland. Why? Here's what they say...


Shanthini Venugopal:

"I have always wanted to sing with a jazz trio so I am giving a shot at my dream!"





Maya Tan Abdullah

"As a pop brat in the 1980s, Maya first took an interest in jazz when
Alison Moyet covered 'That Ole Devil Called Love'. Since then she has explored and enjoyed jazz greats from Coltrane to Fitzgerald, Gershwin to Porter, and jazz music originating from Shanghai to Philadelphia to Singapore. Maya has always wanted to perform jazz and is grateful that among her "best-est" friends are jazz greats in their own right, Junji and David Gomes, who are her kind collaborators in this venture, where she will also present her self-penned "Raining in Singapore". Maya is currently rehearsing a musical about the life of P. Ramlee."


Edwin Sumun

"Why am I doing this? And why am I doing this sober and clean from clear amber liquid? Because I love Sarah Vaughan, Mel Tormé, and Junji Delfino. AND everytime I'm given the mic, I'm completely inebriated and have no control of my voice. After months of listening and learning from the above musicians, the opportunity has come to for me to show you how much I love this music that we loosely term as Jazz. I'm not going to sound like the commercial Michael Bublé nor am I going to serenade you with the dulcet resonance of Nat King Cole. I am Edwin Sumun and I have my own stories to tell through a voice which is my own. And everything is love, always."



And when the unexpected finally gets past expectations, expect the expected as all five of them get back to basics with that which they are notoriously known for... making people laugh! Armed with fresh material culled from everything surrounding them, this gang of five will send you cackling home in the wee small hours of the morning. Surely, with all the gloom & doom surrounding our little planet, we all could use a hearty laugh!

So, in closing, let me make this suggestion... pick up the phone and book your seats because we can only accommodate so many people over the two nights. Reservations are purely on a first come-first served basis. Bribery is not going to take you far in this establishment. Try that somewhere else where they are inclined to close one eye.

Don't forget to mark your calendars. It's the 17th & 18th of August, Cover Charge RM35nett only. Call 21428611 or email info@top-hat-restaurants.com. Showtime starts at 9:30 p.m.

See you at The Top!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't forget what a wonderful evening I had that night!! Well done! I was very impressed with Edwin's voice! I can only say, "WOW!!" and I dropped my jaws...