Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Experimental Quartet

When it rains, it pours. Such has been in my life for the last 2 weekends where top room programming is concerned. And, if I may be so bold as to pat myself on the back, I think, under the circumstances, I did pretty well (read: I have not chewed anyone's head off!).

Last weekend's young 'uns (Giant Timeline) did themselves proud too by stepping up to the plate though I heard that some older patrons didn't think they were worth staying around for. Sigh. If only they had given them a chance they'd have walked away from there thinking, "youth is certainly not wasted on those guys". Oh well, their loss.

Now, this weekend was supposed to have been Julian Chan's farewell gig with Boplicity but that is slowly turning into a series of farewell gigs lined up for the boy as his trip to NYC is postponed to mid-September! Hence, Boplicity is taking a hiatus from this weekend to make way for...

The Experimental Quartet. This is a collaborative effort between Julian Chan (saxes), Eddie Wen (trumpet & flugelhorn), Justin Lim (piano) and, NYC resident, Fung Chern Hwei (violin). The evening will showcase much of Chern Hwei's & Justin's original compositions with
Julian
& Eddie providing that added dimension on horns. It sounds pretty exciting as nobody knows where this would lead.
And since it's my first weekend break in a long time, I shall be there to just enjoy the energy from this gang of four and dwell in their flashes of inspiration. Or perspiration, as experiments can sometimes bring.

The first set starts at 10:30 p.m. and the bar closes at 2:00 a.m. Cover Charge: RM 20nett only.

See you at The Top!

No comments: