
Versatile performer, Allan Perera, holds a different court this coming weekend right here at The Top Room! Catch him & a bunch of his buddies while they strut their stuff on the 23rd & 24th of June in a Jazz & Blues special.
And take advantage of our June Promotion exclusive to diners at Top Hat Restaurant. Spend a minimum of RM 50++ per person every Friday & Saturday night and enjoy a 1-drink minimum charge to enjoy excellent music at The Top Room. That's right!! Only 1-drink to enjoy 3 solid sets from some of the country's most celebrated jazz doyens.
The Top Room @ Top Hat is located here. For more information and/or reservations, please call +603 21428611, fax +603 21413611 or you can also book via email. Just click right here. And since we're almost three months old, we thought it's about time we heard some feedback from you, our ardent supporters, musos, friends and the general public who have partaken of that sweet "forbidden fruit" that's jazz. We also welcome any missives from those who have, for whatever reason, not yet tucked into TTR's jazz smorgasbord. You can bet your bottom dollar [or ringgit, in our case] you'll hear from us as we value everyone's opinion.
Now remember, 23rd & 24th are must-see nights at The Top Room so... see you there!

7 comments:
Looking forward to it! Haven't seen Allan perform for ages.
Though I've not commented here before, I'd just to say that having been at the Top nearly every weekend, you guys have a great place! The music is just...Music! Wonderful!
Hey guys!
First things first, I wanna say congratulations on really CREATING a new jazz place for KL city. Not just any place for us musicians to perform.. but a place to REALLY play and perform and experiment! My experience playing in TTR has been nothing but splendid.
Here are some comments and suggestions on my part:
1) RM50++ cover charge.
Although by international standards, RM50 is by no means an unreasonable amount to pay for such good quality music (and drinks), it is however quite a large amount for the average Malaysian middle class consumer who would want to come and enjoy the good music as well.
Although if any average customer/music lover may initially come and watch a show and spend by paying rm50 (plus the tax, which may come up to about RM65-70) the first time, it is definitely less likely for the same person to come the following week, or two weeks, or even for the whole month. That's because it will be too much to spend for them.
There are also those who would want to come and watch the shows, but do not drink wine/liquor. They could include working class people, as well as students, and even parents of those students. To impose the RM50++ per person, value-wise, it'd be more worth if the customer would go for premium drinks like wine, whiskey or hard liquor. But for those who would spend for just beer, or even non-alcoholic drinks, it might not seem worth it for them.
And I do believe that those who DO drink wine and liquor would naturally be those who would have the means to spend on them, so they would naturally spend on it even if they pay cover charge or not.
If I may, I would like to suggest to maybe reduce the cover charge to a fairly reasonable amount, say RM30.. but with ONE free drink, either beer or non-alcoholic beverages. And then let the customer spend on the subsequent individual drinks. That's one possibility. And this may also re-inforce my previous statement about those who drink wine/liquor. They will eventually spend on it, on top of the cover.
Another idea may to probably charge a clean RM20-25 music cover, and charge individually on drinks, but I know this idea may not bode well for those who would only come in and just sit with only ONE drink for the whole night. Either that or, charge the RM20-25 music cover, and put a minimum two-drink purchase (of any kind - alcoholic or non).
I do understand that the venue needs to make some money as well, pardon my candour. I would suggest trying out to bring in the numbers through an increased VOLUME (ie. customers), and not through a higher admission charge.
2) Talking customers.
I've only got one major suggestions for customers who have the tendency to make noise during the performance - leave a table sign, asking customers to refrain from making loud, intrusive noises during performances, as a respect to the performers on stage.
To add to that, whoever MCs for the night, should also announce the same courtesy, as to show respect to the musicians.
Other than that, I think everything else is just right on the DOT!! I have to re-iterate, that The Top Room has just the right vibe for the music - serious music.. not the hotel lounge variety, and A LOT of people who have checked out the place have told so.
THanks for hearing me out.
It feels like home! when ever I go to top room, I'm in the mood... the fact is, before Top Room started, we musician don't have a proper place to do & listen to real stuff..Jazz! there are some other famous place around, but not the way you'll do it.I've never promote a place like I did for Top Room, so please keep it going!!!
I'll say the RM50 buck is not exspensive yet is not cheap... it is very reasonable for two drinks, but not for people who can't or don't brink alcoholic drinks.... if top room can bring it down, then there will be more music loveror music student(you know music student not very rich one...) would come more freely... when there is more people come, it will start to build up the crowd... later on when many people talks about it then it will become "D" place to go for great music!!
For Music site I'm fully satisfy the way you'll did it. great job! thanks again to make this place happen and letting us have a place to have fun. Top Room Rocks!!!
thanks disco, jules & eddie for sharing with us your impressions & ideas about what we can improve on and areas that need to be relooked at or changed altogether.
i guess we all had hoped that the consumers would see the "value" of the music that they have in TTR. i mean, real jazz for real jazz lovers! and i'm not gonna go on another litany of mathematics where the 50 bucks is concerned. been down that road many times. except now, instead of me going down that road... the road keeps comin up at me!!! LOL
thanks again. we shall relook at all these things you pointed out and keep you posted. meanwhile, do come this weekend and tell your friends about it!!!
eh? who am i kidding?? jules & eddie will probably be hartamas square, or somewhere else with a big screen :(
guess its u & me again disco... discoquette!!!
excuse me, i don't mean to intrude, but i heard that there's a possibilty that the top room may be closing for good because of poor attendance. that really is a pity seeing it's one of the only places in our city where we can listen to good music. I take it the owners know nothing about selling the product and only want to earn a tidy sum at the end of the night. well, if that's the case, then you shouldn't have started.
i've only been once on a free night and really enjoyed myself. however, it's not something i can do often. i do have financial responsibilties at the end of my night.
I do hope someone comes up with an answer to keep the room at the top.
Nodding with agreement with all that's been said by julian and eddie. Even tho I do agree that the price is reasonable... but as a student, I could only make it a point to go once every few weeks. Can't wait to start workin' :P
Other than that I love EVERYTHING else about TOP ROOM.. been telling my fwens all about it! Looking fwd to b there again.
Keep it up!!! :o)
thanks for all the feedback received thus far... we will look into all the points you guys have raised and you can all look forward to an even "better" room next time you drop by.
anon, dunno where you got wind of the fact that TTR is shutting down. no way, jose! the top room is here and here it will stay... with as much support from jazz lovers as we can get!
be cool! bebop!
Post a Comment