Tuesday, September 26, 2006

One for the Guinness Book!

Well, as luck would have it, David & I missed the record-breaking Top Room SRO turnout for last Friday's gig. But whether or not we were there is beside the point. We're real happy to know that there seem to be more & more people turning up for our weekend gigs and that really gives us hope. Slow but sure is what a few people used to tell us when things were slow and, while I personally subscribe to that adage, I couldn't help but feel queasy every weekend when I stepped into the room and find only a handful of jazz enthusiasts. Eddie Chan, godfather of jazz in Singapore, sure knows what it was like to build up their own jazz scene and if we were to keep plodding as he did, I'm sure The Top Room will come into its own soon 'nuff.

Anyway, kudos to JC & Ida [you too Khairil, Vincent & Martin] for a job well done in the space of time you had to put it together ;) ED's NOTE: The luscious Ida Mariana will be back real soon with no less than The Top Room big daddy [no Julian! not THAT BIG DADDY!], David Gomes. Watch this space for the gig listing.

Before I sign off, check out the great review of the KL Hardbop Band gig at KLPAC last August with fab pics to boot. They are slated to perform at The Top Room in the not-too-distant-future. [Thanks, again, Eugene for the enthusiastic review & the photos!] Tune in to this space regularly for updates!

And for those of you who still don't know where The Top Room is... well, a wonderfully talented genius of a man otherwise known to many as TV Smith has created a map of KL City Center worthy of a Pulitzer prize!!! So it's not a book... so what! It's great. Even the road planners don't have it in them to do this brilliant piece of work. Anyway, I'm done gushing...

The Top Room is featured in Malaysia Central's popular MyCen Map of Kuala Lumpur City Center! You can view or download the latest map by clicking on
this link.


Thank you kind sir!

Till next post...

No comments: